Khobi Monastery

Khobi monastery was built in the XIII-XIV centuries. The structure of the church is associated with the names of David Agmashenebeli and Queen Tamar. The church is decorated with ornaments and frescoes. Prior to the establishment of Soviet power, here rested the Shroud of the Virgin, St. George’s thigh and other relics.

1/1455/0008.jpg

Khobi Monastery

Khobi monastery was built in the XIII-XIV centuries. The structure of the church is associated with the names of David Agmashenebeli and Queen Tamar. 
The church is decorated with ornaments and frescoes. Prior to the establishment of Soviet power, here rested the Shroud of the Virgin, St. George’s thigh and other relics. Arcangelo Lamberti, a missionary who lived in Georgia in 1630-1649 on the instructions of the Congregation of Roman Catholic Faith Propaganda, clearly indicates the presence of holy relics in Khobi monastery, but says nothing about by whom and when they were brought. He tells us that "In the Khobi monastery were shown the Shroud of the Virgin, which the locals worship reverently." 
The monastery represents an architectural complex that includes a temple, palace, tower, wall and the remains of other structures. The wall was rebuilt in the 70s of the XX century. A domed bell -tower is one of the largest in Georgia. It is built of stone and previously was painted. Inside the walls is a hall-type basilica, with later additions: an altar from the end of the XIV century and corridors on the south and west sides. The exact date of construction is unknown. According to scientists, the church became such at the turn of XIII-XIV centuries. The church is decorated with ornaments and frescoes, which are severely damaged. 
In the middle Ages, Khobi monastery was the residence of the Catholicos of western Georgia. The Khobi bishopric owned a large estate, cellars, forests, fishing and hunting places; as well as fields and rural churches. Several Odishi berths paid it tributes.

0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts