Kvabiskhevi Church

Kvabiskhevi

The church, built in the name of St. Mary, is a three-nave basilica. This is a small monastery church that was built for ordinary church services.

1/1655/0001.jpg

Kvabiskhevi Church

The church, built in the name of St. Mary, is a three-nave basilica. This is a small monastery church that was built for ordinary church services. The Basilica is constructed of rough stone from the nearby cliffs and the walls are  built of closely packed cobblestones. Masonry is attached to the wall like plates. Near the altar of the basilica is  a large stone, which probably served as the dining room and the place where the leader sat. 
 
The only decorated part of the Basilica is the western doorway, over the upper plate of which, in small circles, are engraved three simple crosses, which gives us the opportunity to date the church to the VIII-IX centuries. On the south side of the church is painting of the XII-XIII centuries. On the north wall, on a  green and gray background, two people are depicted  - a man with the name "Shota" and a woman with the name  "Iai". Presumably they were the owners of the church. The rest of the paintings is in fragments.

0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts