Vale Church of Virgin

According to historical records, the church was built in the VIII-IX centuries. Vale was initially a domed temple. In 1562-1564, the church was restored without the dome. After a thorough renovation, the church was turned into a three-nave basilica.

1/2510/0002.jpg

Vale Church of Virgin

According to historical records, the church was built in the VIII-IX centuries. Vale was initially a domed temple. In 1562-1564, the church was restored without the dome. After a thorough renovation, the church was turned into a three-nave basilica. Two columns inside the church divide the space into three parts. Asymmetrical column sizes were restored in the XVI century. Forty five lowercase carved inscriptions on the south tower tell about the restoration of the temple and by Dedisimedi. wife of Kaihosro Atabagi.

 

The church was built in harmonizing colors - gray and burgundy. Previously, the church was hung with a richly decorated cornice. Above the main entrance is a large stone that depicts two riders. Through this entrance came  prayers in a half dark corner from which the central spaceis lit from openings. All these various adornments were skillfully executed by architectural skill of the highest quality.


0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts