Samtsevrisi

The Samtsevrisi Church of St. George was built in the first half of the VII century,related to the type of Georgian domed church built with smooth masonry of same size stones; the church design represents the "Free Cross."

1/4009/0001.jpg

Samtsevrisi

The Samtsevrisi Church of St. George was built in the first half of the VII century,related to the type of Georgian domed church built with smooth masonry of same size stones; the church design represents the "Free Cross." 
Two inscriptions on the walls of the church read: (on the eastern facade) on laying of a channel in this area in the X century and (on the south facade) on restoration of the church at the turn of the XV-XVI centuries by Prince Panaskerteli. Later, a gate on the south side was built into the church, which was destroyed by the villagers in 1925, although it is possible to reconstruct its architectural form from the remaining fragments. The south side of the gate is simple. The northern gate, which is adjacent to the southern wall, is segregated with decorative arches. 
In 1940, an earthquake destroyed the dome, wings, and the southern and eastern walls of the church almost completely. In 1952 – 1953, under the guidance of architect L. Khimshiashvili, the church was restored to its original form.

0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts