Urbnisi Sioni

The Urbnisi Sioni church was built on the site of a pagan temple. The large three-aisled basilica was built at the turn of the V-VI centuries. The entrance is located on the west side. The church had extensions to the south, west and north sides.

1/4043/0001.jpg

Urbnisi Sioni

The Urbnisi Sioni church was built on the site of a pagan temple. The large three-aisled basilica was built at the turn of the V-VI centuries. The entrance is located on the west side. The church had extensions to the south, west and north sides. The original layer of the church was built with masonry of smooth clean hewn blocks. Originally the facades were strict and ascetic, unadorned. 
 At the end of the IX century, the church was rebuilt by Bishop Theodore. In 1668, the damaged church was restored by order of Queen Mary, and in 1706, the King of Kartli Vakhtang VI built a bell tower and a "wall- chamber." Only the bell tower has come down to us in its original form. 
In Urbnisi there was a large library. From local manuscripts, the most important work, the "Urbnisi Gospel" comes to us, which was rewritten in the X century by Georgian calligrapher Ioan Tataneli. Today the gospel is stored in the National Center of Manuscripts.

0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts